The Programme Director is ultimately accountable for the success of the programme and is responsible for enabling the organisation to exploit the new environment resulting from the programme, meeting the new business needs and delivering new levels of performance, benefit and service delivery.
The Programme Director has overall accountabity for the success of the programme and is specifically accountable for the following:
- Programme Governance. Accountable for the programme’s governance arrangements by ensuring the programme is established and governed in accordance with corporate and best practice standards.
- Business Continuity.
- Business Readiness.
- Benefit Realisation Capability.
- Programme Financial Probity.
- Executive Team Performance & Behaviour.
- Integrity of the Programme Management Baseline.
- Owner of the following Governance Baseline Components:
- Business Case(s)
- Controls Strategy
- Programme Brief
- Programme Charter
The Programme Director is responsible for enabling the organisation to exploit the new environment resulting from the programme, meeting the new business needs and delivering new levels of performance, benefit and service delivery. Specific responsibilities include:
- Vision. Ownership of the vision for the programme and being its ‘champion’, providing clear leadership and direction throughout its life.
- Investment. Securing the investment required to set up and run the programme, and fund the transition activities so that the desired benefits are realised.
- Leadership. Providing overall direction and leadership for the delivery and implementation of the programme, with personal accountability for its outcome (this should be an important measure of their individual performance).
- Baseline Integrity. Responsible for key programme information, including the Programme Outline, the Programme Charter Brief and the Business Case.
- Strategic Risk Management. Managing the key strategic risks facing the programme.
- Strategic Alignment. Maintaining the alignment of the programme to the organisation’s strategic direction. Evolving business needs and emerging issues that impact the programme will undoubtedly arise. The Programme Director is responsible for ensuring that such issues are addressed appropriately.
- Organisational Change. Ensuring that the organisation and its staff are managed carefully through the process of change, that the results are reviewed and assessed objectively, and that adjustments are made as necessary.
- Programme Reviews. Commissioning and chairing reviews both during the programme and following programme closure that formally assess the programme’s:
- Continued alignment with its objectives,
- Capability of delivery,
- Measurable achievement of benefits.
- Leadership & Management. Chairs & leads the Programme Executive Board and manages & supports the management team:
- Communications Manager
- Programme Office Manager
- Business Change Manager
- Programme Manager
- Design Authority
- Programme Management Baseline Change Board Chair.